Saturday, June 11, 2011

Paint It Red

Elijah's dad drove away in his jeep, leaving Grandma to watch him for the afternoon. It was a gorgeous day. Elijah played quietly in his sandbox, very focused on measuring precise amounts of sand after putting it through a sifter. Grandma sat close by in a lawn chair, pestering him with questions, testing him on his numbers and colors, repeatedly interrupting the flow of his play.

-- Do you like being four? she asked.

No response.

--Do you like being four years old?

--No! Elijah shot back assertively.

--No? Why don't you like being four?

(He walks away towards the driveway)

-- I don't like being four. I'm gonna take your car away, he said.

--You're gonna take my car away? But you're not old enough to drive, protested Grandma in the whiniest voice.

--I'm gonna drive it. And I'm gonna make it black.

--How you gonna do that Elijah? Paint it?

--I'm gonna paint it. Paint it Red.

(He starts to walk away again)

-- Where are you going? Come here Elijah. Look at these berries I have. Now are they blueberries or raspberries?

(He ignores her, keeps walking)

-- I'm tired of you, said Elijah with much sincerity.

-- You're tired of me? Well that's too bad, your stuck with me. I'm watching you. You don't have a choice, said Grandma, obviously taking his comment very personally. Then she shuffled him inside as the sun shot spears of glorious light all over the backyard.


10 comments:

  1. Enthusiastic. Every one of us examining for most webpages and also the partner and also my spouse and i definitely found which using this. Beautiful item. I like and so content. Will be able to for sure tool passenger trucks this type of position is possible using this you may... work with a high quality being familiar with above all else each time trip through the use of him or her. victorian style radiators

    ReplyDelete
  2. Extraordinary post, I've obtained designated ones website and so in essence I’ll notice much more with this topic in the foreseeable future. ειδήσεισ τώρα στην ελλάδα live

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great facts, this can be the a couple of effective examining intended for, include things like quite a few effective key points when my spouse and i learn quite a few brand-new issues from this way too. Abu Dhabi Vape

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great.. I adore your look of the web site currently, and also mentions a few of the posts alone website. Offered with ones directory my personal favorite world-wide-web record. Steroids UK online shop

    ReplyDelete
  5. Helpful to determine by which this type of type of information have you got to help unaware and also newbie people. Shows and Events

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am accomplishing any study with this topic. Your current post could be containing more honestly effective facts. I am confident another to be able to have a look at your own personal information intended for the up coming study. Online steroid shop

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am honestly turned on by way of this wonderful issues. I'd favor to consider high quality material which often position I stumbled onto in just a particular person write-up. Cheers intended for providing. Portable Toilets Gloucester

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do think I am somewhat tense with this design seminar and also I'd like to know ones comments on this seminar. I know it will be an amazingly helpful anyone people will unquestionably display at it will be somewhat useful. cannabis businessplans Canada

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just now obtained time to this kind of remarkable web site a little bit previously. As i have been basically harnessed with all the part of assets exhibiting the following. Large thumbs further up to produce this type of wonderful website website! cannabis growing business

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think the actual approach a person produce might appear including buying a lot attention therefore you acquire put it in a very way anyone can fully grasp. Must take pleasure in the actual good post you've got constructed the subsequent. Africa hemp CBD

    ReplyDelete