Sunday, November 11, 2012

Transmutation


We have one of those screened, cylindrical butterfly habitats that are very common in preschool classrooms.  This Fall we put several caterpillars in there and watched them form cocoons.  The children have been especially interested in caterpillars, roly poly bugs, and ladybugs this year.

On  Friday I was playing with some kids in our playhouse when I heard very excited voices screaming my name from the other end of the playground.  They wanted to show me that one of the butterflies had hatched!

We set it free in the garden and a big group of kids observed the beautiful butterfly for quite some time.  One of the teacher assistants remarked to the children, "Isn't it amazing?  To start out as a caterpillar, wrap yourself in a cocoon, and come out as a completely different creature?"  It is amazing, and it was certainly amazing for the kids to see that transformation.  Then I followed up her comment with, "It's kind of like how you all are kids now, and then you'll change into adults someday."

Writer Daniel Pinchbeck recently gave a talk in Mexico on the subject of climate change called "Planetary Initiation" in which he used the caterpillar to butterfly analogy,
         
        
"In the chrysalis, the caterpillar doesn't just sprout wings. Its entire body melts down into a biotic goop. The code for the transmutation of the organism is held by a handful of "imaginal cells" that start to propagate as the caterpillar dissolves. Although attacked at first by the dying caterpillar's immune system, the imaginal cells install the program that produces the butterfly. Our modern civilization is now in the process of melting down and decomposing, and we have to become the imaginal cells engaged in the process of its transmutation."


In the wake of Hurricane Sandy, it is more clear than ever that our planet is going through some major changes.  As a teacher of young children, I find it difficult to reconcile my pessimism about the state of the planet with my desire to prepare them for a future that looks increasingly bleak.  Our modern civilization truly is melting down into some kind of biotic goop.  However, I trust that these children are ready to become the imaginal cells that will program the next phase for humanity on Earth.  Nature has given them a perfect example of this process in the transmutation of the caterpillar into a butterfly.






18 comments:

  1. There are many sensors that have been made ​​by the businessmen in the market from the beginning to the present. They have started to set one up. food delivery in ubud

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is first time that I visit here. I found so many exciting matter in this particular blog, One thing I would like to request you that pls keep posting such type of information blog. amazon bewertungen kaufen

    ReplyDelete
  3. This program will change my life. I agree with another poster where you should add a button to do another picture instead of close at the end. scanable ids

    ReplyDelete
  4. Through this post, I know that your good knowledge in playing with all the pieces was very helpful. I notify that this is the first place where I find issues I've been searching for. You have a clever yet attractive way of writing. cannabis business plan sample Canada

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are really grateful for your blog post. You will find a lot of approaches after visiting your post. starting a cannabis business

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful defines this topic and engage with the readers. I find very great things that important to contribute to the good formation. corporate magician melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, superb blog format! How long have you been running a blog for? you make blogging glance easy. The whole glance of your website is great. High heel shoes for men

    ReplyDelete
  8. You made some decent points there. I looked on the internet for the issue and found most individuals will go along with with your website. best free wordpress themes

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your blog provided us with valuable information to work with. Each & every tips of your post are awesome. Thanks a lot for sharing. vacation rentals pompano beach fl

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your page is sweet, your graphics are great, and what's more, you use videos that are relevant to what you're saying. You're definitely one in a million, man! programmable pace clock

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your website is so cool. I am impressed by the info that you have on this site. It reveals how nicely you understand this subject. Thanks once again for this shot. gp jobs

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent article. Very interesting to read. I really love to read such a nice article. Thanks! keep rocking. forex signals review forum

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post i must say and thanks for the information. Education is definitely a sticky subject. However, is still among the leading topics of our time. pips alert review

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks very spectacular. And article gives me a lot of information .be thankful, I truly discovered very awesome and exclusive concepts. So this might be useful to everybody... Thanks for creating this interesting blog. estampado en tela

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info. cortadora sigma

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really enjoyed reading it, you are a great author. I want to encourage that you continue your great posts. Must say that the post you've written is greatly benefit from each other. I must say you have done a very good job! fortnite materials

    ReplyDelete
  17. I got here much interesting stuff. The post is great! Thanks for sharing it! Electronics and Communication Engineering

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really impressed after read this because of some quality work and informative thoughts. I just wanna say thanks for the writer and wish you all the best for coming! Burundi License Plate embossed with custom number or text

    ReplyDelete