Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Giant DIY Spin Art Machine

We've been doing a lot of spin art on a small scale in our classroom.  We've used an old turntable with markers and paper plates.  We've also used a salad spinner with tempera paint and cardboard cutouts.  

Recently I found some instructions for building a large scale spin art machine using a power drill as the spinning motor.  You can see in the picture below, it's a pretty simple set up.  I built a frame out of scrap wood to hold the drill in place, then put a T-nut and bolt through a plank of wood and attached it to the drill.  All you do is screw a canvas to the spinning plank, lock the drill in the on position, plug it in and start adding paint.




Here's a video of the Giant Spin Art Machine in action.  I made a cardboard wall around it to catch the paint spray.


Here's how the above canvas turned out using acrylic paint:


I also tried using watercolor and a big sheet of watercolor paper with some nice effects:



Now it's time to see what the kids do with it...

5 comments:

  1. I want see a gallery of these (maybe the hallway) when they are ready! Good work Dr. Barth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was reading your article and wondered if you had considered creating an eBook on this subject. Your writing would sell it fast. You have a lot of writing talent. carnival inflatables

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are really happy just for this post in this website.This article is well thought out and full of good information. Electrical Engineering

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very informative and impressive post you have written, this is quite interesting and i have went through it completely, an upgraded information is shared, keep sharing such valuable information. الجنوب العربي

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just want to say that this article is really a very good one. And I really think that this is one of the most productive and one of the best articles that I've ever seen. I wish that I could get more articles like this. Marijuana vape pens

    ReplyDelete